Skip to main content

New Blogger - 1st Design



So....I'm joining the blogging world to share my love of counted needlepoint, threads, canvas, and all things related to needlework I enjoy so much. To start with, I'm sharing a photo of my first design "Potluck" - the "Bright" version and the original "Muted" version; I think of them as my "personalities"!  I originally designed this to see "if I could" and was so enchanted with the design process I've never looked back.

Here's the story...(yes I was a Brady Bunch kid!). Before I even dreamed of designing needlepoint, I managed my family's needlework shop for a number (more than 10) years and just loved being surrounded by threads, fabrics, canvases, needles, scissors, and all of it. The thing I enjoyed the most was helping people pick out alternate colorways for various projects and class pieces. I was also mentored in "COLOR" by my father who did our custom framing and seemed to be a genius at picking out just the right mat colors to enhance anything he framed. (Who ever knew when we were kids and horrified by some of his clothing choices/colors this would happen?!).  You can read more about the shop's history at www.needledelights.com - this blog is about me and my designs so my shop's cross stitch customers don't have to roll their eyes when I'm telling them about "my new stuff"!

When I found myself the sole owner of the shop, I started teaching more classes and was wanting projects I had a little more control over - in a lot of ways. I started with some simple ornaments that were just circles with one stitch using one overdyed thread and a metallic - people loved them and started calling them my "designs" - I just thought of them as "making a pretty ornament from something very simple". I then started teaching a year long "Mystery Class" once a month and chose about 10 different colorways to entice people to take the class. Along the way I found myself thinking of what I would like to stitch myself. I had a friend who encouraged me by promising to stitch whatever I'd like to experiment with. This was the beginning of "Potluck".

The great love of my personal stitching history was stitching Genny Morrow's Nova. I can still recall the way my heart raced the very first time I saw this pattern circa 1994. I'm not sure what appealed to me but I experienced a "desperate need" to stitch this design. I loved every part of it, from drawing the squares on the canvas to putting in the last stitch. It was a journey of itself and was never replicated with any other project I've stitched. When I finished it the first time (Yes, I've stitched it twice), I emailed Genny Morrow herself (back before everyone was on the internet) and she actually emailed me back with congratulations. I was ecstatic.

Although I had no intentions of ever making a quilt, this project led me to actually becoming a quilter - I was lucky to have great teachers & mentors in a small group of ladies my mother quilted with (she was/is an avid quilter too). There's no surprise that choosing the fabrics and the style, blocks, and method of making the quilt is my favorite part. This great love greatly inspires my designs. I always think, "Who ever knew this accountant who hated geometry was creative?" but there you go...that's my story.

Stay tuned to this blog to see what I've done and what I'm doing - I'm sure I won't post as often as I'd like but will post when I have something to "show or tell" - my favorite part of almost everything in life - sharing great joy, love, and experiences with others. I prefer doing it in person but am excited about embarking on this adventure in Blogland!

Comments

  1. Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new blog! Another way to stay in touch with you. You are so talented and such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Logs pillow

Just a quick post to show my finished Autumn Logs made into a pillow. The center looks washed out in the photo but I can't take another because I sent the pillow up to Fireside Stitchery - they're having a Needle Delights Originals trunk show right now and have over a dozen of my pieces - check them out if you're in the northeast! http://www.firesidestitchery.com/     Today is the first day of my online class "Inchies" - here's the Confetti colorway - one of my students already finished it and sent a photo!     I'm working on something new and will show you a peek soon! Kathy

More Serenity and something new...

I'm so pleased to show you photos of some of my students' work! They've had such fun stitching Serenity and several have completed it. It's such fun to see the different colorways come to life! First up is Pam B's - it's called "Flowers of Italy". She was clever and added her initials to the piece - can you find them?!   Next is Highland Garden - it was one of the most popular colorways!   And here's Arnhem Heath, the ever popular purple and green!  I'll be teaching this project at Needle in a Haystack in Alameda, CA next month - if you're wanting some Serenity, come join us. You can see all the info here. Kathy

In full swing...

I've been getting ready for my big summer trip - I'm heading to the midwest next month. First I'll be attending the TNNA Needlework tradeshow in St Charles, Missouri and then am heading to Chicago for the ANG National Seminar. I'm taking a class with Orna Willis and looking forward to being with someone who has great color sense! I'll also be participating at Expo Night. I'm looking for a couple of people who have experience in such events who would be willing to help me - contact me privately if you are interested.  Before I go to Seminar, I'll be teaching August 22-23 at Tomorrow's Heirlooms. You can get more details on their Facebook page here . I'm really having fun working on the piece and wish I could show you part of it but alas, it's a Mystery! I haven't done a Mystery class for the last two years and I'm happy to be designing another - I look forward to being able to share it and eventually publish it. I will be releasing six