Skip to main content

My Kitchen is Done!

Finally, my kitchen remodel is done! Everything is new except the actual cabinets - they were painted and a few slight changes made, mostly to the inside of the pantry. The cabinet doors (all 29 of them!) were replaced and hardware added. Floor tile, marble countertops, glass tile backsplash, sink and faucet, and new appliances are all brand new! My eighties kitchen has come into the 21st century and I love it! I liked my old kitchen but hated the floor tile and was tired of everything else - my dishwasher had stopped working and my frig was on its last leg, and the original wallpaper was painted over in a previous facelift. Once I decided to rip up the floor and get the other things I wanted, the project took on a life of its own and it jut seemed more efficient to do it all at once! Here's what it looked like before:

 
we lowered this hightop counter and Boots lost his barstools...but I have a lot more counter space.

Here's what I lived with for three weeks as my brother did the job and lives three hours from me...he's a contractor so I'm fortunate to have a pro in the family. The wait was caused not so much by him as by waiting for the countertops to be installed. I managed without a stove and sink for three long weeks!

I then had appliances and counter tops but no cabinet doors for a couple of weeks which was fine because I finally had my new sink and appliances.
And, just when I was getting used to not opening doors to get out or put away dishes, it was complete! I haven't "decorated" with anything on the walls and I don't think I'll be putting my baskets back on top of the cabinets - watch for a big basket sale soon!

 
So what's next? My master bathroom - I'm not ready to have it ripped up anytime soon though. Maybe next summer when the inconvenience of remodeling has been forgotten. I missed two weeks of this remodeling by being out of town on two week long trips - I'll definitely repeat that part of the experience!

Kathy


Comments

  1. Beautiful! I'm envious. But mine has to wait a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I love the way the floor and the counter top complement each other. We had our kitchen redone about 6-7 years ago and still love it.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cabinets looks awesome Kathy! When looking at the first few pictures and then the last, it doesn't even look like the same kitchen. What an amazing transformation you guys did. I absolutely am getting these white cabinets, it seems like everyone is doing this and I am not waiting any longer. Thanks for the pictures and the inspiration too, great job!

    Debra Newman @ Unique Stone Concepts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Kathy! I'm blown away... and I love the picture timeline, it really makes me feel like I get a good step-by-step view of the process. You must be so pleased. It's such a transformation that it doesn't even look like the same room! I adore your chosen counter tops.

    Lynn Williamson @ DAL Builders

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the black and white finish on your kitchen. My wife would also really appreciate that color I know cause I am trying to surprise her when I get back from my office trip. She deserves a remodel of our old kitchen it has been s long since we did anything to our house, bin here for long.

    Essie Reed @ Valley Home Improvement

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Logs pillow

Just a quick post to show my finished Autumn Logs made into a pillow. The center looks washed out in the photo but I can't take another because I sent the pillow up to Fireside Stitchery - they're having a Needle Delights Originals trunk show right now and have over a dozen of my pieces - check them out if you're in the northeast! http://www.firesidestitchery.com/     Today is the first day of my online class "Inchies" - here's the Confetti colorway - one of my students already finished it and sent a photo!     I'm working on something new and will show you a peek soon! Kathy

More Serenity and something new...

I'm so pleased to show you photos of some of my students' work! They've had such fun stitching Serenity and several have completed it. It's such fun to see the different colorways come to life! First up is Pam B's - it's called "Flowers of Italy". She was clever and added her initials to the piece - can you find them?!   Next is Highland Garden - it was one of the most popular colorways!   And here's Arnhem Heath, the ever popular purple and green!  I'll be teaching this project at Needle in a Haystack in Alameda, CA next month - if you're wanting some Serenity, come join us. You can see all the info here. Kathy

In full swing...

I've been getting ready for my big summer trip - I'm heading to the midwest next month. First I'll be attending the TNNA Needlework tradeshow in St Charles, Missouri and then am heading to Chicago for the ANG National Seminar. I'm taking a class with Orna Willis and looking forward to being with someone who has great color sense! I'll also be participating at Expo Night. I'm looking for a couple of people who have experience in such events who would be willing to help me - contact me privately if you are interested.  Before I go to Seminar, I'll be teaching August 22-23 at Tomorrow's Heirlooms. You can get more details on their Facebook page here . I'm really having fun working on the piece and wish I could show you part of it but alas, it's a Mystery! I haven't done a Mystery class for the last two years and I'm happy to be designing another - I look forward to being able to share it and eventually publish it. I will be releasing six