Skip to main content

Sugar Land...

Texas, is where I was last week, attending EGA's South Central Regional Seminar. Mom and I went together and took classes and had a great time - it's always interesting to be a student instead of the teacher! When we drove across the border from Louisiana to Texas, we stopped at the Welcome Center and saw this...
You can tell how big it is by the people standing by it. I was somewhat annoyed they were in my picture until I realized you can tell the enormity of the star compared to the people. I think my love of stars must come naturally as I was born in Texas!

Next year I'll be teaching at SCR along with my mom - we designed a piece together called "Duality" which combines a little batik fabric applique along with a lot of stitches and threads. Although mom and I are both designers, we have completely different styles. It was a fun challenge for us to do this piece. We make kits up in lots of colorways for people to choose from at the beginning of class - I love all the batik fabrics! We both stitched the piece using different colorways - here's mine...


and here are a couple of other colorways worked up... they all come out so different...color is amazing!

 
 
If you're interested in taking this class at the South Central Region Seminar, registration has started. We'd love to have you in class!

Here's what I'm currently stitching - it's a a teaching piece. I'm developing it to teach at Needle in a Haystack in October - I think Cathe is taking pre-registration now. I'll also be doing a lecture on Color (one of my favorite topics!) and another class with a smaller project over the weekend. As you can see I'm almost done with this one - it's softer in person than this photo and has been really fun - lots of odd size squares and rectangles and lots of variety in texture, both with the threads and the stitches. When I cropped my photo, I left my new needle magnet showing - it's the logo for the National EGA Seminar this year which will be in Louisville - the theme is "Winner by a Stitch"! I can never have enough needle magnets!

 
Here's a sneak peek at something I've finished and will be releasing later this summer - the directions still need to be written and will be somewhat challenging as I stitched it "freehand" and don't have many notes or charts. I'll be working on it soon before it gets too stale in my mind... It's called Bora Bora and someday I hope to get there...Don't look at the mat color - the framer used the wrong color and I didn't realize it until after my mom had put it together for me - it's supposed to be a bright turquoise and will look much better


I'm heading up to North Carolina for the weekend for Father's Day - it also just happens to be the weekend of the big East Cobb Quilt Show in Atlanta. Mom and I plan to spend the day there Saturday! I know there will be fabulous quilts on exhibit!

Until next time,
Kathy

Comments

  1. Everything looks wonderful, love that you did a piece with your Mom. Tell her hi for me & have fun!
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been very busy! Everything is lovely. I kind of like the dark turquoise mat; the needlework just pops against that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your teaching piece for needle in a haystack. I hope you release it as a pattern afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new pieces are gorgeous! And I like the dark green matting on our glimpse of Bora Bora.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy the new designs are all beautiful. I wish Australia was a little closer so I could take one of your classes. But I can still look forward to stitching Bora Bora when it is released.
    Bye for now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you release that class piece as a pattern someday! LOVE all of it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autumn Logs pillow

Just a quick post to show my finished Autumn Logs made into a pillow. The center looks washed out in the photo but I can't take another because I sent the pillow up to Fireside Stitchery - they're having a Needle Delights Originals trunk show right now and have over a dozen of my pieces - check them out if you're in the northeast! http://www.firesidestitchery.com/     Today is the first day of my online class "Inchies" - here's the Confetti colorway - one of my students already finished it and sent a photo!     I'm working on something new and will show you a peek soon! Kathy

More Serenity and something new...

I'm so pleased to show you photos of some of my students' work! They've had such fun stitching Serenity and several have completed it. It's such fun to see the different colorways come to life! First up is Pam B's - it's called "Flowers of Italy". She was clever and added her initials to the piece - can you find them?!   Next is Highland Garden - it was one of the most popular colorways!   And here's Arnhem Heath, the ever popular purple and green!  I'll be teaching this project at Needle in a Haystack in Alameda, CA next month - if you're wanting some Serenity, come join us. You can see all the info here. Kathy

In full swing...

I've been getting ready for my big summer trip - I'm heading to the midwest next month. First I'll be attending the TNNA Needlework tradeshow in St Charles, Missouri and then am heading to Chicago for the ANG National Seminar. I'm taking a class with Orna Willis and looking forward to being with someone who has great color sense! I'll also be participating at Expo Night. I'm looking for a couple of people who have experience in such events who would be willing to help me - contact me privately if you are interested.  Before I go to Seminar, I'll be teaching August 22-23 at Tomorrow's Heirlooms. You can get more details on their Facebook page here . I'm really having fun working on the piece and wish I could show you part of it but alas, it's a Mystery! I haven't done a Mystery class for the last two years and I'm happy to be designing another - I look forward to being able to share it and eventually publish it. I will be releasing six